Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Butterfly Analogy

Yesterday I was driving my pretty gas guzzling sports car and the weather was sunny and gorgeous, just like the owner of the automobile. Lol

Because GiGi (my car) puts a huge dent in my savings...I'm always checking out the gas prices as I flutter about.  I just so happened to pass one station where the price was $3.95 a gallon.  I decided to hold out and continued driving.  Less than a mile further, I saw $3.93 and as I past by, my mind's eye tried to remember if that was in fact a cheaper price than the one closet to my house.  I had a half tank and was also thinking, "You're good...you can wait."

But something inside of me caused me to drive to the next stop sign and make a U-turn.  I pulled into the small service station and pulled up to the pump.  It was similar to a small town atmosphere.  Truthfully speaking it looked somewhat deserted.

In any event, I'm one to put the pump in motion and hop back into the car.  Not only that, I was listening to Heather Headley's "Running Back To You." Love it!  And just as I sat behind the wheel and looked straight ahead...there they were...triple yellow butterflies in the company of the Monarch.  The graceful orange and black beauty has a way of stopping me in my tracks.  After all, I am she.

After getting gas, I went over to photograph her and her friends.  As I got closer, it was like a surprise party just for me. They came out of nowhere.  It must have been at least 20 or so in various colors and sizes.  I was completely mesmerized.  I switched my iPad from photo to video and began taping.  As I tried to keep an eye on their constant fluttering, twirling and dancing...I noticed that one lay dead and another was wounded.  I just stood there feeling excitement and sadness at the same time.

Having a prior engagement, I walked back to the car, wishing I could cancel my plans and just hang out there a little while longer.  I couldn't help but think about the old cliche' "Life Goes On." As one passed on, and one suffered a broken wing...the remainder danced, twirled and fluttered about...just as I was about to do with my day.  Why would they stop? Why should they stop?

It's easy to turn away from God when we feel He has let us down, didn't answer our prayers or allowed us to experience deep pain, but who are we to be exempt from suffering? Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 A Time for Everything.

As humans, when something similar happens to us, why should we stop living...or remain paralyzed by grief?  There is no lack of compassion in continuing to dance, twirl and flutter with your gift of life.  It is not wrong, cold hearted or unsympathetic.  The Bible says in James 1:1 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, ..."

2 comments:

WynnSong said...

Enjoying the butterflies was one of those special moments, but what great insight you found there as well. It's hard going through what life throws at us at times....but life goes on and we should embrace it.
Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement.....

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Happy Tuesday Wynn,

Thanks for stopping by. When I see them, I'm reminded to "stop" and take notice. I remember talking to a friend of mine recently and he said that he hadn't seen any butterflies yet...wow, I couldn't believe it.

If we truly "embrace" the fact that we have control over very little, we could then begin to be present in the moments as each day unfolds.

With that kind of living, how could we possibly have any regrets?

Love, peace and blessings,
fsb