Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Past Has No Power


in the dead of winter the tall
trees reveal my family secrets

naked brittle branches fall and
finally my heart begins to mend

ice sickles melt against my
long suppressed tears

like a heavy weight that has been
lifted i then fall into a deep sleep

This post was inspired by the girl I used to be and the woman I’m becoming. I remember driving home one day a couple of years ago in the middle of winter. I just so happened to look to my left and noticed an array of tall naked trees. The above poem was written as a result of that view. It dawned on me that while the trees were in abundance and in full bloom, no one could see my secrets, my shame or my SIN.

Fast forward…I never liked the texting thing. But in order to keep up w/my kids, I had to surrender and join in. Now…I LOVE IT! I get to send out love and inspiration all day, everyday to anyone at will.

As a result of that, friends and family members are always sending me heartfelt thanks and compliments that make me tear up. I wasn't always this BIG Beautiful Butterfly Bundled with Joy. Lol

I was once a lost soul. My joy was buried deep within and I had no clue that it was in there somewhere. I didn’t trust anyone and I thought for sure that if people knew the real me…the one with the secrets, the shame and the sin…they would not like me. In fear of that, I was a people pleaser and I was great at it. As exhausting as it was, I was determined to be good at "something." As it turned out, I was good at being the best hamster on the wheel...going around and around with no purpose and no way to get off. Lo’ and behold, my Knight and Shining Armor rescued me. His Promises are true and His love is for real.

Secrets: Hebrews 4:13 “Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”

Shame: Isaiah 43:18-19 “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?...”

Sin: 1st John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

His precious gift to all who call on him:
2nd Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”

Psalm 103:10-12 “he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

sent w/love
fsb

2 comments:

Moanerplicity said...

Wow! Testify for real! I can think of several people, w/ about 100 different reasons why they should be reading this entry. Thank you for penning it. It's incredibly inspirational!

BTW: LOVED the poem. You're very deep, my Sista.


SJ!

One.

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Hello Mr. Ross and thank you.

Only because His LOVE frees me that I am able to put myself out there. I simply cannot keep my life a secret any longer.

I am no longer defined by my past and most importantly, I am no longer defined by another's opinion of me.

Love for a great day and again, thank you for your "very kind" words.

fsb