Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Are you really HAPPY or just pretending to be?

Last year someone asked me “Are you really that happy?” The funny thing was that he whispered it as if he was going to tell me a secret. The answer was yes, I really am that happy. I have had many of days in the past where I had to put on my happy face and face the world. I’m quite certain that I’m not the only one. But the smile and joy you see today is very authentic. I can’t fake all this enthusiasm and creative energy that’s emerging from deep within my soul. It’s oozing out all on its own. Sometimes I feel as though I’m having an outer body experience compared to the woman I use to be. I read a quote last year and it said, “It takes courage to grow up and be who you really are.” I’ve grown up and this is who I am.

Don’t get me wrong, I have days where I just want to stay in my pjs and be left alone but not too often. I also have days where I need a little encouragement and some good sound advice. I have this really great book by my nightstand (1 of many) titled “Simple Abundance.” It is a great pick me up for any day of the week. There is a short story in it about confidence and how you can borrow it. She definitely wrote that one for me because confidence is something that I never really possessed. So when I read her theory, I thought I’d give it a shot. I created a confidence file and when I have a meeting or important event to attend or even when I’m meeting someone for the first time, I reach into my file and I borrow some confidence. I love it and now I refused to give it back. I constantly update my file because I’m really going to need it when I start promoting my first book.

Another thing that keeps me smiling is the fact that I have self esteem boosters throughout my home. On my fridge I have positive affirmations and gorgeous pictures of people who love me including myself. Last year I received a happy box for my birthday decorated with beautiful butterflies and I keep it in my den. It’s filled with things that instantly make me smile when I open it. Cards, letters, special moments, business cards from places that I love, special dates, e-mails, photos, concert stubs and other keepsakes. I also have a box of inspiration. It’s filled with 3x5 cards of inspirational words, phrases and verses that I’ve read, heard on the radio and TV. I’ve even written some things that I’ve heard people speak about when I’m out and about in my daily life. A true writer never leaves home without a pen and pad of some kind. You never know what I’m going to write down so be very careful what you say…. I just might quote you!

No comments: